Maryland Has a New Boat Shrinkwrap Recycling Program
Shrinkwrap Recycling 2019
(Press Release MD DNR March 18,2019) … In Partnership with the Maryland Clean Marina Program and Chesapeake Materials, the Marine Trades Association of Maryland (MTAM) is launching a NEW Shrinkwrap Recycling program modeled after a very successful program run in Rhode Island.
- MTAM will sell and distribute bags that hold up to 40 pounds of clean shrinkwrap to marinas and boatyards. (They are not set up to sell to individual boaters this year.)
- Each bag will cost $15. This cost includes the pickup/transportation and recycling of the filled bags. Orders in multiples of 30 are preferred, as the bags are packaged in this quantity. Smaller orders will be combined as possible in conjunction with other marinas in your area.
- Critical to the successful recycling of boat shrinkwrap is keeping it clean. All straps, zippers, doors and vents must be removed for the wrap to be accepted by recyclers.
- Chesapeake Materials will schedule pickup dates with all participating marinas in the spring.
- Only bagged wrap will be accepted by Chesapeake Materials.
- In a test, the wrap from a 35-foot boat fit into one of the bags. By condensing the wrap, you may get more in the bag, but we ask that you keep the weight to 40 lbs. maximum.
- Questions and orders for bags should be directed to MTAM by calling 410-269-0741 or emailing Susan@mtam.org. Bags will be delivered to boatyards and marinas this spring.