Foot’s Forecast’s 10 x 2 Rules To Beat The Heat
Our friends at Foot’s Forecast have some great advice for beating the heat. My advice is just stay indoors, and avoid the heat. Many of you will hit the beach and waterways this weekend. The temperatures are going to be excessive to say the least.
1) PRE-HYDRATE – Drink 2 cups of caffeine free, non alcoholic drinks BEFORE you go out to work or play.
2) HYDRATE – Drink a minimum of 2 cups of caffeine free, non-alcoholic drinks EVERY HOUR whilst outside.
3) RE-HYDRATE – Drink a minimum of 2 cups of caffeine-free, non-alcoholic beverages AFTER outside work or play is completed.
4) Check on elderly 2 times during the hottest part of the day.
5) Provide pets 2 times the amount of water they would normally drink.
6) When outside temps are above 80°F, NEVER leave pets, children or the elderly in a vehicle. NOT EVEN FOR 2 MINUTES!
7) Have every family member recite this OUT LOUD 2 times, “PRE-HYDRATE, HYDRATE AND RE-HYDRATE!”
8) Your body needs 2 HOURS of air conditioning (or sitting in front of a fan) to properly cool itself back down.
9) Apply sun screen at least 30 minutes BEFORE going outside and then, EVERY 2 HOURS!
10) Read the signs and symptoms of heat illnesses 2 times and BE READY TO ACT IMMEDIATELY!
From the NWS …
TodaySunny, with a high near 93. Heat index values as high as 102. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
TonightMostly clear, with a low around 78. South wind around 9 mph.
SaturdaySunny and hot, with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 108. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph.
Saturday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 79. Southwest wind around 9 mph.
Sunday slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97. West wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday NightA chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 78. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
MondayShowers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Partly sunny, with a high near 90. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Monday NightA chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Chance of precipitation is 50%.