DNREC’s Brandywine Zoo temporarily closed through February for construction and improvement projects
DOVER (Jan. 18, 2019) – DNREC’s Division of Parks & Recreation announced today that the Brandywine Zoo in Wilmington is temporarily closed through the end of February while construction and improvement projects are made to the zoo’s campus. The zoo’s education building will remain open to host upcoming programs scheduled throughout January and February.
The construction projects, undertaken ahead of implementing the zoo’s master plan for operations recently approved by DNREC’s Division of Parks & Recreation, include the conversion of the zoo’s otter exhibit into a new small animal contact area, and improvements to the honeybees and hive learning exhibit, and to the Andean condor exhibit. The improvement projects also include installation of new zoo signage, and renovation of the exhibit for the zoo’s South American capybaras – better known as the world’s largest living rodents.
Modifying the exhibits not only will enable the zoo to move some animals into upgraded facilities, but also helps the zoo to prepare for the arrival this spring of new species. Brandywine Zoo Director Brint Spencer said that during construction, some of the animals are being shifted to zoo housing away from the construction work areas, where they will be fully engaged by keepers until returning to their exhibit space.
Regularly scheduled education programs at the education building, located across the street from the zoo’s main entrance at 1001 North Park Drive, Wilmington, DE 19802, will continue throughout the construction period.
Registrations are being taken for the following events – anyone interested in attending should visitwww.brandywinezoo.org to register:
- Monday, Jan. 21, 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Martin Luther King Day Camp. On the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, kids will spend the day enriching zoo animals to help keep them active and engaged.
- Sunday, Feb. 3, 1 – 2:30 p.m., Zoo Camp Open House. Overview of camps and one-day only discounts.
- Saturday, Feb. 9, 9:30 a.m. – Noon and 1 – 3:30 p.m. (Two sessions), Girl Scouts – For the Love of Animals.
- Sunday, Feb. 10, 1 – 2:30 p.m., Summer Intern Open House (for high school and college students).
- Monday, Feb. 18, 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Presidents’ Day Camp (for ages 5-13).